Dallas Retirement Village
Social Services Assistant
Position: Social Services Assistant
Department: Social Services
Status: Full Time
Pay rate: $16-17 per hour DOE
Purpose: The Social Services Assistant (SSA) works as a member of the Social Services Department under the direction of the Social Services Director to assist each resident to attain their highest practical level of physical, mental and psycho-social well-being. The SSA serves as an active member on the interdisciplinary team and as a resident advocate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- The SSA will assist the SSD to complete all department specific documentation in a timely manner according to all facility, local, state and federal requirements. This includes, but is not limited to utilization of electronic medical records for: admission assessments, collecting social histories, writing, reviewing and updating care plans, MDS input, quarterly and annual evaluations, behavior tracking and keeping Social Services progress notes.
- Attend and facilitate resident care conferences and family meetings, both in person or virtually when required.
- Arrange for outside services to meet resident needs such as, dental, auditory, vision, podiatry and mental health services and transportation.
- Assist residents to obtain personal items.
- Assist with resident discharge planning, to include finding the appropriate placement and obtaining equipment and services that they will require upon discharge.
- Visit with residents and their responsible party when regularly scheduled and as needed on a drop in basis to assess the needs and to provide psychosocial support.
- Participate in Interdisciplinary Committees as assigned.
- Act as a resident advocate and ensure that resident rights are provided and protected. Educate staff and residents about resident rights.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner.
- Maintain confidentiality of resident information.
- Promote the ongoing development of a home-like environment in resident areas.
- Other duties as assigned by the SSD.
- Minimum requirement of Associate of Arts (AA) degree in Human Services or related field preferred.
- Experience in long term care preferred with a working knowledge of the physical, mental, spiritual and psychosocial needs of older adults.
- Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Must have the skills to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Must possess effective interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to deal tactfully and pleasantly with residents, families, staff, community resources, visitors, and general public.
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, and have the ability to communicate and present in person, in writing, and on the telephone effectively with both large and small groups in English.
- Skilled in a Windows-based computing environment including email and Microsoft Office productivity software.
- Must have a valid Driver's License.
Dallas Retirement Village fully embraces a culture of hospitality. To that end, we include the following hospitality promises in all of our community job descriptions.
DRV Hospitality Promises
- We greet residents, employees and guests warmly, by name and with a smile.
- We treat everyone with courteous respect.
- We strive to anticipate resident, employee and guest needs and act accordingly.
- We listen and respond enthusiastically in a timely manner.
- We hold ourselves and one another accountable.
- We embrace and value our differences.
- We make residents, employees and guests feel important.
- We ask “Is there anything else I can do for you?”
- We maintain high levels of professionalism, both in conduct and appearance, at all times.
- We pay attention to details.
- Multi-line telephone
- Fax machine
- Copy machine
- Sits, stands, bends, lifts and moves throughout the facility during the workday.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds unassisted.
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule to accommodate meeting times convenient for residents, family members and the organization.
- May be exposed to high pressure emotional circumstances.
- Subject to exposure to infectious waste and disease (HBV and HIV).
Efforts have been made to develop a complete job description, however; please be aware that the duties and requirements listed herein are not the only duties which you may be required to perform. The omissions of specific statements of duties do not exclude them from being assigned to you if the work is similar, related, a logical assignment to the position, or is necessary in an emergency situation.